[governance] Remote Participation

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Feb 18 14:40:20 EST 2012

In message
<CAMH9oT6y1mCLkKcYk8B5_odewaLLQCLYb8w+KNe1VWj_10qOsQ at mail.gmail.com>, at
18:45:36 on Sat, 18 Feb 2012, Tim Davies
<tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk> writes

>Roland's mention of assistants highlights another useful potential of
>RP, where remote communities can support their in-person
>representative. I'm reminded of some of the youth delegations at IGF11
>who were using MSN to informally network with colleagues watching on
>the webcast and who were helping out with providing background
>information, or sourcing ideas for how to input into sessions

I agree that it's very useful for a remote participant not to be simply
"tuned in" to the main discussion, but also in contact with several
other remote participants at the same time.

Could we call that a "virtual hub" perhaps?

But the assistants I was thinking of were more along the lines of people
who can do the leg-work for someone in a very select position (eg a MAG
member) and pass them a dossier of what's been happening, and
suggestions on what to say, so that the MAG member has a more realistic
commitment to be on stage only for the relevant three days a few times a
year, rather than follow everything themselves at first hand.

The caucus co-ordinators are perhaps halfway to the role because they
seek, and are given, a collective statement to make. In other words, all
members of the caucus are to some extent their eyes and ears, advisors
and assistants.

Unfortunately seats like those on the MAG are given to individuals, and
not offices, except perhaps from the government stakeholder group where
there has apparently been a little passing of the baton from one
officeholder to another. Not that this is a bad thing, perhaps more
stakeholder groups could benefit from the continuity this provides.
--
Roland Perry