[governance] The standards about the RPKI are out

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Feb 8 04:44:29 EST 2012

On Feb 5, 2012, at 7:57 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

> and the authors' contention
>
>> As long as it is unclear how RPKI achieves compatibility among multiple roots, it is disingenuous to pretend that RPKI allows ISPs a free choice of trust anchors
>
> Today we find more efforts in the creation of various forms of circumvention.  I think this has the folliwng effects:
>
> - serves as a warning for those who look to impose strictly hierarchical regimes
> - produces an increasing number of circumvention techniques and opportunities
> - increases the mindset that alternate solutions are possible and worth working on
>
> So while it may be disingenuous to contend that _anyone_ could create an alternate root or a alternate RPKI trust anchor, it is not quite as disingenuous to contend that someone could.
>
> I also agree with the point that routing is an important topic for governance discussion and that these issues deserve consideration in the IGC and in the governance discussions in general.

Avri -

The author's contention has been overtaken by events, in that
one of the IETF RPKI drafts specifically addresses how parties
that want to use RPKI should be able to control their reliance
on any given trust anchor and be able to establish their own
local rules for what information to utilize.  The proposed RPKI
capability is on the IETF Standards Track and can be found here:
<http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-sidr-ltamgmt-04.txt>

FYI,
/John

John Curran