[governance] The standards about the RPKI are out

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun Feb 5 13:57:46 EST 2012

Hi,

Good article, nice to be reminded to read it.

One of the critical points in that discussion is the Sandra Murphy quote:

> the
>  ability
> of
> relying
>  party
> choose
> trust
> anchor
> is
> big
>  get‐out‐of‐jail‐free
>
> card
> for
> those
> who
> are
> allergic
> the
>  idea
> of
> one
> root.
> NOT
> that
> I'm
>
> recommending
>  using
> that
> card.

and the authors' contention

> As
> long
>  as
> it
> is
>  unclear
> how
>  RPKI
> achieves
> compatibility
> among
>  multiple
> roots,
>  it
> is
> disingenuous
>  pretend
> that
> RPKI
> allows
> ISPs
> free choice
> of
> trust
> anchors
> –
> just
> as
> it
> is
> disingenuous
>  pretend
>  that
> anyone
> who
> wants
> create
> an
> alternate
> DNS
>  root
> can
> easily
> do
> so.

Today we find more efforts in the creation of various forms of circumvention.  I think this has the folliwng effects:

- serves as a warning for those who look to impose strictly hierarchical regimes
- produces an increasing number of circumvention techniques and opportunities
- increases the mindset that alternate solutions are possible and worth working on

So while it may be disingenuous to contend that _anyone_ could create an alternate root or a alternate RPKI trust anchor, it is not quite as disingenuous to contend that someone could.

I also agree with the point that routing is an important topic for governance discussion and that these issues deserve consideration in the IGC and in the governance discussions in general.

avri