[governance] MAG Selection Process, Funding & General comments...

Robert Guerra rguerra at privaterra.org
Sun Feb 5 10:20:30 EST 2012

Dear Nomcom,

It is an honour to have been shortlisted as one of the possible IGF candidates to the MAG. Thank you!

Having served on the NOMCON in the past, I appreciate the effort and time you put into your work.

Jeremy & Michael,

There are a variety of different approaches one can take to seek  funding to enhance CS participation at the IGF. One approach is to engage donors to fund the IGC caucus directly the other is to have the donors fund NGOs that are active in IG issues.

Until the caucus is formally established as a separate entity, the only viable option - for now - is to work with existing NGOs. Even if the IC were established, we'd also need to find volunteers willing and able to deal with the administrative requirements . While finding funds isn't easy, it is possible. It just requires one to explore options and from there be persistent about it.

I say this from personal experience as over the last two years I was able to identify key govts governments, foundations and yes - private sector companies - who were willing and able to  fund free expression and human rights activists to attend the Asia Regional IGF, the annual IGF in 2010 and 2011.

As I mentioned in my MAG candidate statement, I will try my best to coordinate efforts with other stakeholders to help identify and seek funding to help build the CS capacity and participation at the upcoming IGFs. I commit to do so regardless weather I get appointed to the MAG or not. It not an easy task, but one i'll try to help with best I can..

regards

Robert