[governance] MAG Selection Process, Funding & General comments...

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 12:50:15 EST 2012

Robert,

There are, as you know, a number of separate issues involved in IGC funding
of which funding for IGF participation is only one and perhaps not even the
most pressing.  To my mind funding for participation in the MAG is of more
direct concern since in that instance where policy decisions concerning the
IGF are presumably being made one would not want individual participation to
be dependent on access to outside funding with all that that might or might
not entail.

My issue of funding was concerned with how to make the IGC more effective in
its role including broadening the base of participation and particularly
around supporting the IGC in working through an effective and appropriate
response to the IGF operating principles and practices which Marilla shared
with us.

I see those principles as a very significant inflection point, with the IGF
moving towards a much higher degree of formalization in the mode of its
operation and I personally would want for a number of reasons that that
formalization be as well thought through and as reflective of CS principles
and aspirations as possible.

Mike