AW: [governance] [] US, UK and Canada refuse to sign UN's internet treaty

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun Dec 23 08:24:37 EST 2012

In message <E1TmibU-0000Sh-ED at frodo.hserus.net>, at 15:46:21 on Sun, 23
Dec 2012, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> writes

>Even spammers do have a commercial, though illegal, motive

The police are convinced that all criminality on the 'net is financially
motivated, but I'm not so sure. But it's a useful point to make that a
commercial incentive doesn't necessarily mean taking money or
intellectual property[1] off the recipient in a direct way that they
either agree with or understand. (ie by selling them something they
want).

>Whatever operating definition it is needs to be short, crisp and
>general enough

Agreed.

[1] eg Phishing.
--