[governance] [bestbits] Your sign on requested- Civil society statement post-WCIT

Deborah Brown deborah at accessnow.org
Sat Dec 22 22:20:02 EST 2012

Dear Parminder,

Thank you very much for this detailed response. As I wrote to Michael, and
I would like to reiterate here, this statement was neither meant to speak
on behalf of "civil society" as a whole, nor the BestBits group in full. I
see how it might be read this way, and I have proposed to go back to the
group that drafted it with edits that would clarify exactly who this
statement is on behalf of.

I think it might also help here to give a bit more information on the
origin and intended purpose of this statement. As you are aware, a number
of civil society representatives in Dubai met with SG Touré during WCIT and
had presented him with concerns regarding limitations civil society
participation (both in person and remotely). They presented him with a
letter<https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1LiM3FfKF8Fgih7Um7v2vK20J2AigneGrgJ93YTbqLSM>,
which around 70 civil society orgs/individuals, including IT for Change,
signed onto. After the meeting, there was a general sense that it was of
strategic importance to follow up with the ITU post-WCIT to hold the SG to
the commitments that he made. That is the primary purpose of the letter.
Most of your criticism seems focused on the first two paragraphs of the
statement, which relate to the content of the ITRs and BestBits, not the
following five paragraphs, which deal with civil society participation. Is
that correct?

In the immediate post-WCIT environment, it seemed necessary to take into
account the new treaty in this statement. Referring to the BestBits
statement in reacting to the new ITRs seemed like the natural and right
thing to do, but it was most certainly not meant to speak on behalf of the
BestBits group. There are of course a variety of different views on WCIT,
so it is understandable that there may be disagreement among BestBits
signatories on how the new treaty measures against the BestBits statement.
But as you suggest, initiating that conversation within the BestBits group
may be valuable.

Since as you note, the BestBits statement is the common ownership of those
who signed it, and as a signatory you object to the use of selective
quotations, I will go back to the group of signatories of this post-WCIT
statement with two options: one essentially removing the first two
paragraphs, and mentions of BestBits so that it is a statement on civil
society participation only; and the second with the current text with the
minor, but critical change of adding "the undersigned members of" before
any mention of civil society. If everyone who has signed the current
version is equally satisfied with the new version (first option) then we
can go with the narrower statement.

I hope you appreciate that with around 20 signatories, I'm not in a
position to make substantive edits to the text unilaterally. But I am happy
to go back to the signatories and offer an option that would seem to
satisfy your criticism. I also hope that the intention behind this
statement is more clear now. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on
this approach and to continuing the discussion.

Kind regards,
Deborah

Deborah Brown
Policy Analyst