[governance] [bestbits] Your sign on requested- Civil society statement post-WCIT

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Dec 22 08:28:19 EST 2012

Hi Deborah

I find the new ITRs largely in keeping with the BestBits pre WCIT
statement. So, I dont see why we should decry it. The ITRs speaks
everywhere only about telecommunication networks (if you dont think so,
pl do point out the relevant part). In Baku we actually did agree that
the physical layer of the Internet  - implied by general terms like
access to broadband etc -  can be covered by the ITRs. This
understanding was the basis of the agreement on the language that IP
layer and above must not be regulated. However, developed countires did
not even agree to terms concerned with the physical layer of the
Internet - like access to broadband - to be included in the ITRs. This I
understand was against what we wanted. So probably we should speak about it.

As for the Internet resolution which is not a part of the ITRs but
appended to it, this compromise actually appears very symmetric to the
the compromise that we reached at the BestBits meeting, whereby the last
sentence of our statement read....

"More generally we call upon the ITU to promote principles of net
neutrality, open standards, affordable access and universal service, and
effective competition. "

All/ most of these issues are Internet issues. In fact, although the
BestBit statement was open to it, the physical layer of the Internet was
no included in the ITRs, how we can now criticise its inclusion even in
an appended resolution. Why is your proposed statement speaking against
the 'Internet resolution' that is not even part of the ITRs. We should
welcome it since it correspond to the manner in which we structured our
own statement. Quoting from your proposed statement "We regret that an
Internet governance-related resolution has been included in the Final
Acts of WCIT"

When the proposed statement says

  "We are also concerned by the lack of clarity around the applicability
of the treaty, which as defined could have unforeseen consequences for
an open internet, and the lack of specificity in key terms, such as
security, which may negatively impact the public's rights to privacy and
freedom of expression."

Can you specify what clarity would we have wanted to be included. The
preamble says 'content is not included', it says, the ITRs will be
implemented in a manner that respects and upholds  human rights. What
else could have been written in the form of clarifying text. Can you
please state some specifics in this regard.

It is extremely rare that civil society makes a statement of
expectations from an global meeting/ treaty and than the meeting/ treaty
actually meets those expectations to the extent that the new ITRs meet
the expectations of the BestBits statement. This is how I look at it but
I am ready to hear the views of others and discuss the matter further.

The proposed statement uses selectively text from the BestBits statement
and in this respect seem to take forward the same initiative, which is
quite misleading. As I said, I disagree with the assessment presented in
the proposed statement of the correlation of the BEstBits statement with
the new ITRs. I see the correlation as largely positive.

Therefore it would not be right for the proposed statement to
selectively quote in the manner it does from the BestBits statement and
make its case based on that quotation . The BestBits statement is the
common ownership of those who signed it, and as one of signatories I
object to the manner in which the proposed statement selectively quotes
the BestBits statement, without giving the full picture. If you indeed
want to go ahead with the statement please remove those quotes from the
besbits statement.

In the end, It is disappointing that while a civil society group got
together to draft a pre WCIT statement, a post WCIT statement is being
presented by a good number of participants of that group as a fait
accompli, and was not developed together in this group. On the other
hand, of course any group has a right to issue its own statement.
However, I do appeal to those managing the Bestbits group at present to
see if we can draft a BestBits statement on WCIT outcomes.

Also, agreeing with Micheal, the proposed statement cannot use the term
'civil society in a generic manner, as if it represents 'the' civil
society.

Willing to talk further on the above issues.

Thanks and best regards, parminder