AW: [governance] [] US, UK and Canada refuse to sign UN's internet treaty

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Sat Dec 22 21:02:28 EST 2012

Spam is generally content neutral, with unsolicited and bulk being the key tests

So, wih "usually" implying that there can be non commercial spam, it is a definition tht antispam activists as well as the industry should be able to live with.

We do have to see how far this gels with individual laws in various countries though.  For example there is a specific exemption carved out for political email in the US CAN SPAM act.

So while that is a useful operative distinction of what spam is, it is not something that I would support being put into an international treaty.

--srs (iPad)