AW: [governance] [] US, UK and Canada refuse to sign UN's internet treaty

Peter H. Hellmonds peter.hellmonds at hellmonds.eu
Sat Dec 22 20:28:18 EST 2012

Hi Avri,

You wrote:
> Which ITU treaty or ITU standard defines what "Unsolicited bulk
communications"  means?

Your question got me searching and I found something:

In ITU RESOLUTION 130 (Rev. Guadalajara, 2010)
http://www.itu.int/osg/csd/intgov/resoultions_2010/PP-10/RESOLUTION_130.pdf
on "Strengthening the role of ITU in building confidence and security in the
use of information and communication technologies", there is a reference
saying "that although there are no universally agreed upon definitions of
spam and other terms in this sphere, spam was characterized by ITU-T Study
Group 2, at its June 2006 session, as a term commonly used to describe
unsolicited electronic bulk communications over e-mail or mobile messaging
(SMS, MMS), usually with the objective of marketing commercial products or
services"

It may not be a treaty or a standard, but exemplifies the way this is
considered.

Is this helpful to the discussion?

Best,
Peter