[governance] How cooperation could be defined ?

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at ccianet.org
Mon Dec 17 12:05:24 EST 2012

I confess I too find the various assertions here difficult to understand.
There is certainly much to be done to push greater connectivity at lower
costs to more of the unconnected, but it is a fact that the number of
developing country citizens connecting up each year is growing very
dramatically overall. There are all kinds of very clever solutions to
geography, limitations on supporting services (unreliable electric power
being supplemented by solar-driven stations), and the like.

I think the picture painted below is awfully negative and suggests that the
North is somehow against the South getting connected. This isn't the case,
if that's the view; why would it be? On a purely commercial level the more
people are on the Internet the greater the economic opportunity to serve
them with products and services, for example.

If I've misunderstood the comments, I'm sure someone will let me know.

On Sunday, 16 December 2012, McTim wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Dominique Lacroix <dl at panamo.eu<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > Hello world :-)
> >
> > Fadi Chehadé explains :
> > There is no war between ITU and ICANN, and there will not.
> > We must engage in a new season of cooperation, in the respect of each
> role.
> > Fadi Chehadé Explains the Decision to Attend the WCIT Opening Ceremony
> in Dubai | 28 Nov 2012 <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16sC6-e8hk4>
> >
> > The first part of the WCIT shows disagrement between North and South.
> > Because Northern governments and companies would be satisfied without
> > regulation, as in the great era of the free seas and freedom of commerce.
> > And South cannot access and build Net services in such conditions. Too
> > expensive...
>

> Do you have any evidence of this assertion?
>
> I'm currently wearing a t-shirt that says "Ushahidi", an example (one
> of hundreds I could name) of net services coming from Africa.
>

> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim

Regards,

Nick Ashton-Hart

Geneva Representative
Computer & Communcations Industry Association (CCIA)
Tel: +41 (22) 534 99 45
Fax: : +41 (22) 594-85-44
Mobile: +41 79 595 5468
USA Tel: +1 (202) 640-5430
email: nashton at ccianet.org
Skype: nashtonhart
http://www.ccianet.org

*Instead of sending cards to commemorate the festive season this year, CCIA
Geneva has made a donation to Medecins sans Frontieres in the name of our
member companies and our colleagues and friends in the Permanent Missions
and UN system in Geneva.*

Need to schedule a meeting or call with me? Feel free to pick a time and
date convenient for you at http://meetme.so/nashton