[governance] WCIT melt down

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Dec 15 13:23:24 EST 2012

In message <50CC7EB3.2020502 at itforchange.net>, at 19:14:19 on Sat, 15
Dec 2012, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> writes
> I have read McTim and John Curran suggest that they would want non
>government stakeholders vote at WCIT kind of platforms. Is this really
>what we want (even outside core technical coordination/ policy spaces
>like ICANN or IETF)?

Voting seems to be an emotive issue. We've seen that in the ITU context
this week.

I didn't think the IEFT was ever reduced to a vote, and we know the IGF
can't vote because it has no formal membership.

RIR/ICANN boards vote, as does the ARIN advisory council (as far as I
can tell, but corrections welcome). And the RIPE NCC membership votes on
policy matters from time to time (in their General Meetings, rather than
the RIPE meeting).

The problem with democracy is that it's often confused with
representative democracy, so are we expecting non-government
stakeholders to vote in their own right, or through representatives?

Several billion Internet users can easily out-vote 192 governments.
--
Roland Perry