[governance] WCIT melt down

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Dec 14 09:20:54 EST 2012

[Milton L Mueller] Sorry, Adam, I think this is just false. Resolutions are NOT part of the ITRs. The ITRs are an international treaty which, if ratified, have force of law. Resolutions are not of the ITRs, full stop. Furthermore, I believe (but am not sure) that countries can take reservations on a resolution (i.e. refuse to agree to it) while signing the ITRs.

Let me make it clear that I would oppose the "enabling environment" resolution, but I also view it as a rather lame, harmless and near-desperate attempt of the ITU to retain relevance in the IG world.