[governance] WCIT melt down

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Dec 15 08:44:19 EST 2012

On Friday 14 December 2012 08:07 PM, Lee W McKnight wrote:
> Parminder,
>
> I don't know that you can pin this on civil society, who remember was
> not even an invited guest to the party at the start of the WCIT
> preparatory process.
Lee

It does not only depend on what space you have get, it also depends of
what agenda, and legitimacy (of representing pubic interest), civil
society carries. The UN convention on disability rights was practically
written by civil society, and if that appears a relatively non
controversial issue and thus different, the right to information act,
that revolutionised gov-citizen relationship in India, was also
practically written by civil society. And civil society fought in the
streets, and got an Act that directly goes against the interests of
politician and bureaucrats who were forced to pass it.

Therefore it is just not about the space CS gets.... I dont think CS
had, or still has, a positive agenda in the global IG space. It is fine
to demolish, but while doing so, we must also know what will take its
place... Else we are just allowing free market to entirely take over the
precious and important communicative realm of our societies. They will
soon distort it beyond recognition, and we would have to nothing to turn
to.

> <snip>

> And at that final table, CS still didn't have a seat even if it had a
> peek at a few players cards.

An important part of the positive agenda is to come out with the actual
model of what kind of multistakeholderism really does CS want...( I
welcome John Curran's recent email seeking building such models.) For
too long has it avoided facing this challenge. And the glimpses that I
get about some views on this area makes me very concerned. For instance,
in the context of WCIT, I have read McTim and John Curran suggest that
they would want non government stakeholders vote at WCIT kind of
platforms. Is this really what we want (even outside core technical
coordination/ policy spaces like ICANN or IETF)?

We need to come out with clear views and a clear model of MSism in which
regard. What models of CS and private sector participation do we seek in
forums that deal with substantive policy areas (and, to repeat, not in
tech coordination/ standards/ policy space)... We cant ask for something
without telling what is it that we want. We have been doing it for too
long now...

parminder