[governance] Blogpost: (Whose) Hand off (What) Internet? Some Reflections on WCIT 2012

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 01:20:12 EST 2012

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 6:55 PM, Dr. Alejandro Pisanty Baruch <
apisan at unam.mx> wrote:

> David,
>
> I owed you a reply here.
>
> Some subset of what Mike Gurstein in facile way characterizes as HOI not
> only has a vision of how to build Intenet Governance - they are voting with
> their sweat. They are building the mechanisms, agreements, communications,
> understandings, actions and discourse.
>
> These days some of that set are providing delegates at WCIT with constant
> feedback, technical knowledge, policy arguments, and personal networks in
> order to avert some of the worst-case results of that conference.

The Caribbean was the only region that I know of that literally opened the
process of consultations to all stakeholders - civil society, private
sector and the public sector where parties were invited to present their
positions, robustly engage in debate and participate remotely. It was a
privilege to be part of that process and the process was open to the world.
I know that Europe also had consultations but people had to make
submissions.

 We in the Pacific have made our submissions and done our advocacy.
I was pleased to see some of the developments with the adoption of a New
Resolution on   “Special measures for landlocked developing countries
(LLDCs) and small island developing states (SIDSs) for access to
international optical fibre networks”

There are many on this list who literally provide direct influence on
issues related to ICT and some choose to be quiet preferring not to
"herald" their contributions but preferring to work silently.

 Some never get to post on the list but in various international foras when
we have "chance meetings" have remarked how the discussions and dialogue
cause an expansion of sight not because of any one individual but because
the community through the list take the time to share their views and
perspectives.