[governance] Internetistan, or the Bit Boat... a new approach to Internet governance!

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 12:20:35 EST 2012

Alejandro,

I am generally in agreement, but you mentioned one point that I want to
clarify:

Also, ideally all eight elements of the framework should apply to the same
"commons", not one per area.

I initially understood this sentence as meaning that the same structure or
combination of elements  should apply to all areas. Re-reading it, I think
you meant that each "area", ie topic, should have all eight components,
right?

But moving forward, I want to add one thought: the modalities may vary
according to the issue/topic to be addressed.

The governance ecosystem dealing with the logical layer of the Internet
(standards and protocols, names, numbers, etc...) is a distributed one,
with different actors developing different norms through different
procedures and structures.

I think that, likewise, the different Internet-related public policy issues
should be addressed by a constellation of dedicated issue-based structures,
with their respective relevant stakeholders and appropriate procedures.
This network of interoperable issue-based governance networks would be
preferable to a single centralized and hierarchical organization.

The challenge for the IGF will be whether it can catalyze/facilitate the
emergence of such ad-hoc governance networks.

Best

B.

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Dr. Alejandro Pisanty Baruch <apisan at unam.mx

--
Bertrand de La Chapelle

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")