[governance] Hmmmm... Google: "Internet Freedom!"... (from taxes?

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 08:12:05 EST 2012

Parminder

I think here WE (or me?) have to maintain the dialectical opposites we
face in this process. Mueller is definitely not in the same league as
some of the US Exceptionalists/Status Quoists - politically in effect
yes, but substantively perhaps not.

On the perhaps not, there is virtue in pushing for the break in the
DOC-ICANN link, as it opens up a gradation of possibilties that
obsequious ICANNers have worked hard to foreclose discussion on. So
Mueller needs to be put in a context that takes on board some if not all
of your concerns as these are important allies, no matter how robustly
we deal with them in the civil (read reason) society discourse.

And on the other hand, they too need to be aware of the "authentic"
legitimacy arguments and ensure their proposals (implicitly or
explicity, former more than the latter) resonate somewhat with other views.

There claim to be seeking Internationalisation is now subject to
different substantive views, including what may well be called a
Ptolemic exercise to salvage what is there... on this the simple
processes (rather than substance) that have been put in place to deal
with this (other than get into the ICANN programme) leaves me wondering
as to the sincerity of some players. Of course, I do not get this from
Milton, as robust as he is, he has been open and often generous in
sharing his work... which reflects an openness and candour that we
should allow some, how do I put it, saving of face (in Chinese parlance)...

Riaz