[governance] IGP proposal for ICANN reform

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sat Dec 8 17:12:31 EST 2012

[Milton L Mueller] In general, ambitious CEOs such as Twomey and Chehadi are unlikely to want to make ICANN more accountable. It reduces their own freedom of maneuver. Also, their legal staff will advise them against it. Pressure will have to come from outside.

> 2. You talk to the ICANN Board and remind them of how important it is
> for them to remain ethical and impartial

[Milton L Mueller] I've been doing that. So have many others

> 3. You advocate for this with a targeted advocacy campaign and gain buy-
> in from supportive govts, civil society (including both Civil and
> Corporate Trade Associations) and finally the private sector like
> getting the Internet Giants on your side.

[Milton L Mueller] good suggestion

> 4. You may just create the rhetoric whereas the real world domainers and
> market gamers may challenge everything as its an attempt of building and
> sustaining a free market economy within the domain name and IP
> addressing space.

[Milton L Mueller] Actually the smaller players in the domain name industry are reasonably progressive on these kinds of issues. E.g., a day after IGP published its "little atrocities" article unfavorably comparing ICANN's top-down and messy lack of process with ITU, a leader in the domain name industry (former GNSO Chair Stephane van Gelder) posted a guest blog on .nxt saying essentially the same thing. Domainers typically want a more stable, accountable and predictable - and often freer - policy environment.

> 5. How do you tackle the industry that gives ICANN the buck it makes?

[Milton L Mueller] As noted, the industry is not the main problem.