[governance] Hmmmm... Google: "Internet Freedom!"... (from taxes?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Dec 6 07:15:55 EST 2012

On Thursday 06 December 2012 02:52 AM, McTim wrote:
> Riaz,
>
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Riaz K Tayob <riaz.tayob at gmail.com
> <mailto:riaz.tayob at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>     snip
>

> Can you point to any of those?  I have challenged you on this before,
> and from what I can see there are none (even amongst the Americans on
> the list, some of whom are amongst the strongest voices for
> "internationalising ICANN").

One needs to do more than say I/we are for "internationalising ICANN".
That would be merely rhetoric unless one is ready to present (and engage
with) a credible plan and roadmap, which all those, whom Riaz may call
as "US exceptionalists" and I often call as "US apologists", have never
done here. Have they ever? IF they have, please point me to it.

No, it isnt enough to say that the US should just terminate the ICANN
contract (including the IANA part) . One needs to propose under what
kind of arrangement will the new internationalised ICANN get
institutionalised and subsist. One needs at least framework level
indications/ details. Would it still be headquarter-ed in the US. If so
what kind of immunities would it have from US jurisdiction, and how will
they be ensured? It is very central to the internationalisation issue
that neither the US executive nor its courts are able to interfere with
ICANN's decisions. What is the plan to ensure this? There are other
issues but lets first get a fix on these.

That would be internationalisation. So would all those 'strongest'
voices for "internationalising ICANN" that you refer to, and in which
you presumably include yourself, tell me what they mean by
"internationalising ICANN" and what is their basic framework to achieve it?

parminder