[governance] India's second update ..

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Dec 5 09:33:18 EST 2012

On Tuesday 04 December 2012 11:24 PM, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> Tis, after minister Sibal held a bunch of multistakeholder
> consultations, and then blandly said that while there was no time to
> submit changed documents, India's viewpoints at WCIT would not let the
> ITU be involved in igov,

The minister said no such thing. He said that it is certainly not
India's intention that ITU gets into content regulation, and if there is
any misconception about it coming from the existing language they are
ready to amend it to that extent.

I inter alia suggested at the meeting with the minister that language
promoting freedom of expression be proposed for the preamble to the
ITRs, and promised to provide such language. The enclosed was submitted
to the minister's office a few days back....

As the enclosed submission suggests, we remain rather concerned that
while ENTO like specific proposals will surely not go through, some more
cleverly and lightly put language, as we saw in the Indian proposal,
that opens the door for a 'sender pays' regime in the future, may still
get in.

/* It is our view that the greatest loss coming from the WCIT and new
ITRs could such kind of language that is not very specific, but suggests
the possibility of a sender pays regime in the future. It would at least
give an anti net neutrality signal to the regulators at the national
levels. */

In order to protect net neutrality, it is not enough for civil society
to oppose ETNO proposal. Everyone knows that without regulation, net
neutrality cannot survive. It will certainly be violated. Market forces
left to themselves will undoubtedly move towards a non net neutral
Internet. And therefore the only way to save net neutrality is to get a
global agreement on net neutrality as an essential, or at least
important, principle. ITRs,, and I quote from the text of the existing
ITRs,

    'establish general principles which relate to the provision and
    operation of international telecommunication services'

Therefore, the ITRs is the right place to get net neutrality, as a key
principle of an egalitarian Internet, mentioned as a global norm.
Unfortunately, even the civil society did not fight for it - so anxious
it has been to keep 'the Internet out of the ITRs'. In having done so
they may have given up the case of global net neutrality - something
that was recently identified as a key cross border Internet policy issue
by an experts group of the Council of Europe.

We did suggest to the Indian delegation to insert pro net neutrality
language as below ( instead of the problematic text that is there at
present in the Indian position. )

/*Member States should endeavour to take measures to ensure that there
is no discrimination by network operators vis a vis different sources of
content, and the principle of net neutrality, including in terms of
global inter-connections, is upheld as far as possible. */

But without any support even from the civil society for such a position
we dont see much chance of this text getting in.

parminder