[governance] Hmmmm... Google: "Internet Freedom!"... (from taxes?

Dominique Lacroix dl at panamo.eu
Mon Dec 3 14:23:37 EST 2012

Le 03/12/12 15:36, Milton L Mueller a écrit :

> Suresh, I think the debates are related. Now it is not just ETNO and
> the old telecom incumbents who want to grab a share of the new wealth
> being generated by over the top internet services, it's national
> governments as well.

The wealth created by the Internet companies that do not pay taxes is a
catch, the result of cuckoo economy models.

They do not pay neither for telecom infrastructures, nor for others:
roads, schools, justice, military, police, customs, safety
organizations: everything that enable firmsto develop their business and
do commerce in peace.

> So what is new here? Governments want to tax whatever they can for
> their own (political) self-interest, while businesses (and most
> citizens) want to reduce their taxes as much as possible.

You assume that people think like businesses, whilepeople feel more like
who they vote for.

In your country, I don't know the case - but here in France and Europe,
politicians are supposed to use their budgets for programs in the
interest of the citizens. If they took the money for them, it's jail
directly.

We can discute what are the best political programmes. But that's
precisely what is democracy.

Democracy has a cost, that must be covered by special contributions
named taxes.

No tax, no democracy.

> What's interesting is  how un-selfconsciously the Dominiques and
> Gursteins of the world assume that more taxation = always better for
> society. Not a shred of critical perspective on the governments'
> demands for more revenue. And as usual, Gurstein approaches the debate
> by attaching labels ("Reaganomics") rather than mounting a serious
> argument.

All the Dominiques and Mickaels of the world answer you:
the contrary of tax cut or fiscal paradise is not ""more taxation is
always better for society".
And the contrary of "more tax" is not "no tax at all".

All the Miltons of the world know it also.
Except you, perhaps. That's why you are a unique person, my dear Milton!
The unique one with some selfconsciousness and intelligence...

Kind regards, Dominique