[governance] Hmmmm... Google: "Internet Freedom!"... (from taxes?

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 15:42:14 EST 2012

My point, in case you missed it was that one cannot generalise about
markets (from the specific proposition that holds in ICTs to a general
outlook), as I understood your post.

Markets work well under certain conditions, and can be made to work
better in an enabling environment where "market failures" exist (and
"market failure" is too commodious a term, when used as an exception to
the rule of markets work best, a nuance I am sure you would appreciate).
Even the neoclassical World Bank admits (after horrendous ideological
implementation of privatisation - markets are best) that private
ownership does not always improve performance.

There are varieties of institutionalism (e.g Douglas North, the
Ptolemite imho) and there are also those that hold that markets are
created, and intensely political and/or structured by law and "habits".
My evidence in point is that oligopolistic arrangements particularly as
regards mobile in developing countries were also conducive to ICT
diffusion. This is/was a political decision, also helped by low barriers
to market entry in related sectors. And it also simply will not do to
forget that the telecoms shebang was financed by a huge tech-bubble -
that points to Institutional indicators that something was not quite right.

Of course, given current circumstances of a financial bubble and
currency wars, the creative destruction of capitalism in ICTs was far
preferable. Not quite even the theory of second best...