[governance] Tangential (On Exceptionalism Wikileaks) America's vassal acts decisively and illegally

Jovan Kurbalija jovank at diplomacy.edu
Mon Aug 20 12:04:13 EDT 2012

Dear Carlos,

It is a valid point and it is rare that countries do not have protecting
powers.  However, if the UK wants to play a legal card it can find
strong one in the following two articles of the Vienna Convention on
Diplomatic Relations, specifying a need for the consent of the receiving
state:

Article 45: b) the sending sTate may entrust the custody of the premises
of the mission, together with its property and archives, to a third
State /*acceptable to the receiving State. */

Article 46: A sending State may /*with the prior consent of a receiving
State*/, and at the request of a third State not represented in teh
receiving state, undertake the temporary protection of the interests of
the third State nationals.

Regards, Jovan

On 8/20/12 5:40 PM, Carlos Vera Quintana wrote:
> Jovan but even on the situation you describe, Ecuador can work with
> another country to represent their interest with UK so Assange is
> under new diplomatic umbrella.
>
> Ecuador gov hopes that situation you describe does not occur but is
> ready to take action with other country Representing their interest if
> happen
>
> Carlos Vera
>
> Enviado desde mi iPhone
>
> El 20/08/2012, a las 9:57, Jovan Kurbalija <jovank at diplomacy.edu
> <mailto:jovank at diplomacy.edu>> escribió:
>
>> Hi Mawaki,
>>
>> Here is an attempt to answer your question on the international
>> legality of the 1987 Act in three ways: Twitter, e-mail and blog post.
>>
>> The short answer – Twitter – is /that the 1987 UK Diplomatic and
>> Consular Premises Act <http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1987/46>
>> is in accordance with international law/ (the 1961 Vienna Convention
>> on Diplomatic Relations - VCDR and international customary law).
>> A bit longer answer for this e-mail should rely on the sequence in
>> establishing diplomatic relations between states with three important
>> moments:
>>
>> - First, states have to recognise each other.
>> - Second, after recognition, states establish diplomatic relations.
>>
>> - Third, after two states establish diplomatic relations, they can
>> open diplomatic missions.
>>
>> Here is how this sequence can apply to the Assange asylum case:
>>

>> The UK can sever diplomatic relations unilaterally. Diplomatic
>> relations are concluded by mutual consent (Article 2 of VCDR). If
>> consent is withdrawn, diplomatic relations cease to exist.
>> After severing diplomatic relations, the UK would require Ecuador to
>> close its embassy in London, and Ecuadorian diplomats to leave the
>> territory of the United Kingdom within a reasonable time. ‘Reasonable
>> time’ is not specified, but it usually takes between 7 days (in the
>> case of the closure of the Libyan mission in London in 1984) and one
>> month. On this point Assange would remain alone in the Ecuadorian
>> embassy. The VDRC does not specify how long the premises of the
>> mission mission should preserve diplomatic status (remain inviolable).
>> Most of the practice in diplomatic law provides the ‘reasonable time’
>> needed to protect and move the mission’s archives and property. The
>> 1987 Act codifies this practice and specifies how to deal with this
>> lacuna in the VCDR (time for closing the mission).
>> Once the premises are no longer inviolable, the UK can enter the
>> premises of the Embassy and arrest Assange if he is still there.
>>
>> It is very difficult to envisage a scenario in which the UK police
>> could enter the Ecuadorian embassy without following the above
>> described sequence – starting with the severing of diplomatic
>> relations with Ecuador. Any other action would be a serious blow to
>> the modern diplomatic system exposing – among others – the UK
>> diplomatic missions worldwide, to high risks.

> [...]

*Jovan Kurbalija, PhD*

Director, DiploFoundation

Rue de Lausanne 56 *| *1202 Geneva*|***Switzerland

*Tel.*+41 (0) 22 7410435 *| **Mobile.*+41 (0) 797884226

*Email: *jovank at diplomacy.edu*| **Twitter:*@jovankurbalija

*The latest from Diplo: *Learn about Internet governance and ICT policy:
enrol for the 2012 Internet Governance Capacity Building Programme (more
info <http://bit.ly/t5fKnw>).