[governance] Should Internet based two-sided markers be regulated by countries or govts

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Sun Aug 19 04:46:08 EDT 2012

Hi Fouad

On Aug 18, 2012, at 3:45 PM, Fouad Bajwa wrote:
> I was asked an interesting question today by a colleague on the discussion about Google's interference in national electronic commerce/e-payment, privacy and ITU-ITRs positions in developing countries in Asia.

What exactly do you mean by interfering?  Lobbying for its positions, which all companies do?  Explaining why they think that regulating the Internet via the ITRs is a bad idea (which the Pakistani government seems to have embraced)?  Funding local people like yourself to attend international meetings?
> She asked whether developing countries should regulate two-sided market economies where the platforms were US based content and services providers and tax them and design laws to prevent their interference within a sovereign country's policies?

Sure they should devise their own policies, and if companies find these overly restrictive they can either lobby to change them (which you don't want them to do) or not come into the market (which you also don't want them to do, per your complaints about PayPal not working there).  That's how it works…?

BD