[governance] Should Internet based two-sided markers be regulated by countries or govts

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 05:22:33 EDT 2012

On Aug 19, 2012 1:46 PM, "William Drake" <william.drake at uzh.ch> wrote:

> Hi Fouad
>
> On Aug 18, 2012, at 3:45 PM, Fouad Bajwa wrote:
>>
>> I was asked an interesting question today by a colleague on the
discussion about Google's interference in national electronic
commerce/e-payment, privacy and ITU-ITRs positions in developing countries
in Asia.

> What exactly do you mean by interfering?  Lobbying for its positions,
which all companies do?  Explaining why they think that regulating the
Internet via the ITRs is a bad idea (which the Pakistani government seems
to have embraced)?  Funding local people like yourself to attend
international meetings?

You find lobbying not interfering and mean to say that all companies lobby
the Pakistani government to change its policies and since its such a nice
term anyone should be allowed to do so?

Just because a company sponsored a regional IGF activity and its
participants means all should bow to it and, I should be the one pointed
out on everyone's behalf from dozens of sponsored people for its great
deed, that's quite ironic. I should then beg mercy from every other IG and
IPP related event globally that are heavily funded by the private sector
and divert all advocacy work towards that sponsor. Nice. Is that what the
new internet world order is? Discriminating indeed.

>> She asked whether developing countries should regulate two-sided market
economies where the platforms were US based content and services providers
and tax them and design laws to prevent their interference within a
sovereign country's policies?

> Sure they should devise their own policies, and if companies find these
overly restrictive they can either lobby to change them (which you don't
want them to do) or not come into the market (which you also don't want
them to do, per your complaints about PayPal not working there).  That's
how it works…?

I believe our notions of national needs and Internet policy advocacy are
different and is an example relevant to the rosy garden scenario. I don't
mind that but it continues to solidify that there is a clear line between
meeting room and diplomacy and actual meaningful participatory advocacy.

I'll let the Pakistani govt know that it should let companies like Google
etc design all its policies because the rest of the world is so enlightened
and peaceful with all the new services and offerings and it will from now
on sponsor everything from baby food to birth control pills.....!

I am really happy to learn these views.