[governance] Should Internet based two-sided markers be regulated by countries or govts

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 04:44:36 EDT 2012

Hi Parminder,

I don't remember taking a position in favor of or against a UN CIRP and my
neutrality on the control or regulation issue remains because my country
appears to remain outside the IGF, takes OIC positions in the HRC and is
highly pro-surveillance, pro-content filtering, pro-blocking and our
internet rights groups are either Internet Giants funded or live off donor
agendas that fund only false war torn and gender abuse and separatist peace
security propaganda.

It is a false accusation that Pakistan has its own say in such matters as
its part of a larger bloc called the OIC, see what OIC is saying in the
context of the Syrian crisis.

I try to balance things in view of facts, figures and context but it is an
irony that in the US, people want an open and network neutral Internet but
their companies seem to be playing around anything but that and their
citizens are harassed and jailed in the name of Copyrights and IP and their
companies are seemingly living off technologies patent wars with sometimes
stuff they didn't even create but own patents to!

The kind of people that i can foresee will end up discussing Internet
policy in such a proposed UNCIRP setting is very dangerous with the usual
topi-drama by private sector led business and information cartels, civil
society funded by Internet Giants and dominant governments stepping on
developing countries will be the norm.

Attempting to create a new IGF with more concrete UN or multilateral
funding isn't going to take the Internet anywhere, make what you have
effective and prove that it will work!

The world tends to remain ignorant on internet public policy issues trying
to pump life into the IGF as well as other policy settings displaying the
dilemma you shared and many opportunistic people that know anything about
it are busy milking cows. Where's the love my friend!

Fouad Bajwa