[governance] India's communications minister - root server misunderstanding (still...)

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Sat Aug 11 15:42:06 EDT 2012

Milton,

It would appear from my August 9 email on this _S_ubject: has me
standing with the "worst states" and conflating IG and CIRs with the
upcoming ITRs. That was not my intent, and thank you for pointing that
out. Let me make clear that I am not a proponent of expanding the
December ITR meetings to include root resources.

However, I do believe that civil society should make clear the
desirability of a more inclusive governance process for the CIRs. That
we should advocate for a thorough exploration of the technical and
process requirements enabling same, via an expansion of the root
resources, their reallocation, or otherwise. And that we should make it
an ongoing goal of the IGC to introduce and advocate these policy
recommendations in all appropriate venues.

Without a shove, there's little prospect of the U.S. relinquishing its
root controls. With the U.S. the leading global power (financial,
military, media, donor nation...), there's little likelihood of an
uprising or coalescing of less powerful states demanding a loosening of
those strings. And with this being an arcane and complex subject, who
but civil society can lead the way?

Best,

Tom Lowenhaupt