[governance] Call for support - Brazilian civil rights framework in Congress

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 23:24:37 EDT 2012

On behalf of Joana Varon, from CTS-FGV

Dear Colleagues,

Please find attached a letter of support for the Civil Rights Framework for
Internet in Brazil, drafted in partnership with the following Brazilian
civil society organizations: Institute of Consumers Defense - IDEC;
Intervozes and the Center for Technology and Society - CTS/FGV, but with
growing support from a list of others.

*Next Wednesday, August 8th, the bill shall be voted at a Special Committee
of National **Congress*. It would be the first step in the creation of a
legal text that goes in the opposite direction to the trend of
criminalization and imposing intermediary liability on the web. As you
might already know, we had expected it to be voted a month ago, but it did
not happen due to lack of quorum. And nowadays, though it is the product of
a highly democratic process, approval of the text is not guaranteed.

We believe international support can help us put pressure on Congress for
approval. So, if you agree, I would kindly ask your institution to
sign this letter.
Sorry for not having being able to propose it as a document to be edited in
partnership, but we are in a rush, as the idea is to have a version with
institutional signatures of international civil society organizations by
tomorrow to deliver it to the Special Commission on *Wednesday*. Signatures
can be sent directly to my email (*joana at varonferraz.com*), preferably
indicating the link to the website of the supporting institution.

ps. sorry for any eventual cross-posting

Kind regards,

Joana

--

Joana Varon Ferraz
Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade (CTS-FGV)

--
Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade
FGV Direito Rio

Center for Technology and Society