[governance] ITU signs deal to build 180 base stations in Africa to expand broadband access

Hakikur Rahman hakik at hakik.org
Wed Aug 22 12:55:26 EDT 2012

At 09:56 22-08-2012, Jean-Louis FULLSACK wrote:

>The ITU stepping in is a valuable assistance if
>-and only if- it is based on suitable network
>design and implementation capabilities (and
>proven field experience) of its experts. There
>are precisely some doubts about these
>capabilities when you take a (professional) look
>on projects like Central African Backbone (cAB)
>ITU was responsible for, and the blamable
>"progress" of the panafrican network ... in
>"progress" since the seventies ! This failure is
>occurring although ITU's Development Bureau has
>been chaired since its stting-up (1986) by an African, except during 4 years.

It may not be the case who runs the show, but in
my opinion the "who" need clear understanding
about the technicalities and appropriate policy
issues that lacks in most of the government
appointees at the national level. Further,
government jobs are rotational, and hence as
people changes, thus issues changes according to
the biases or expectations. It is good that a few
developing countries have established special
units or entities with expertise in the related issues, or trying to build.

Best regards,
Hakikur