[governance] India's communications minister - root server misunderstanding (still...)

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Aug 3 05:16:05 EDT 2012

Keeping in mind that news articles aren't always reliable...

Worth noting India is hardly an unconnected country.  Tata
Communications runs a global cable network, is a U.S. tier one
backbone provider.  There's a major national neutral interent
exchange, NIXI (now run by Dr. Govind who was one of the organizers of
the IGF in Hyderabad, ran the ICANN GAC secretariat.)

That such a senior govt official from a highly developed ICT country
appears clueless about how the Internet works, is a shame.  And is
exactly what we faced in 2002/3 in WSIS, talking to delegations,
explaining Internet basics.

What can anyone do to help? Not much, the Indian government has many
experts who could brief the minister, if he/his office don't seek
their advice then there's nothing we can do.

Adam