[governance] India's communications minister - root server misunderstanding (still...)

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Aug 3 03:58:58 EDT 2012

In message <501A2ADB-BF64-4AE1-BCD7-053BF8C75AD7 at virtualized.org>, at
09:48:33 on Thu, 2 Aug 2012, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> writes
>On Aug 2, 2012, at 7:14 AM, Roland Perry
><roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
>> Happy to write something, especially if it starts to dispel the
>>needless confusion between (eg) Root servers and Route servers.
>
>Err.  Traffic doesn't flow through route servers either (:-)).

Yes I know, but it's another example of almost deliberate built-in
confusion.

>While writing yet another document aimed at policy makers explaining
>the role of the root servers would undoubtedly be beneficial (and I'd
>be happy to contribute), the fact that the demonstrated level of
>misunderstanding currently exists despite the Indian GAC rep being an
>advisor to the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology
>may suggest there are larger issues here.
>
>I guess the real question I'm asking is how can the 'technical
>community' most effectively communicate the underlying realities of the
>Internet to policy makers? Is writing briefs the best way or are there
>other approaches that would increase the likelihood that policy makers
>would actually understand what it is they are attempting to create
>policy for?

I believe I listed some activities that would help. Traditional briefing
papers tend to suffer from being like pieces in a jigsaw, and it's how
they fit together that needs explaining.

To that extent, the paper I've started writing about Root Servers is
more in the nature of "the ecosystem of the DNS", which is a wide enough
subject to be able to give a picture that a non-techie has some hope of
understanding.
--
Roland Perry