[governance] IGF 2012 / Call for Workshop Proposals / Deadline - April 12

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Mon Apr 16 08:51:16 EDT 2012

Thanks Ginger, and you are right, so I tried the following for the Question 2.
Your suggestions and changes are very much welcome, only three more days left.

--------------
Question 2: Please provide a concise description of the proposed workshop.

IGF is now in the second phase and certain “improvements” are mandated
by the UN Secretary General. To fill this mandate, CSTD Working Group
to the Improvement of the IGF was established in 2010 and tasked to
publish its report by March 2011. The WG could not finish its work,
however, and one-year extension was given. With the new Chair and
three additional meetings, the WG came up with the final report in
March 2012. This report will be presented to the CSTD Session in May
and further discussions are scheduled to take place at UN ECOSOC and
General Assembly this year.

This workshop will examine the substance of the CSTD WG Report and
share different views by different actors on the IGF improvements and
their implementations. It will discuss the following major issues:
Shaping the Outcome of IGF Meetings, Working Modalities, Funding among
others.

Though the basic nature of IGF as a non-binding forum has not been
challenged, the WG Report proposes to enhance the impact of the IGF,
with outcome documentation that includes messages that map out
converging and diverging opinions on given questions clearly. On
Funding, the WG could not reach full consensus: with Civil Society
proposing more robust funding including the use of UN regular budget,
while other stakeholders supported to stay with the current voluntary
funding.

While some governments are calling for tighter control of the
Internet, how the actual “improved” IGF remain relevant will be the
central focus of this workshop.