[governance] ITU Broadband Commission

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 09:23:46 EDT 2012

John,

I want to make two points concerning your note below...

I think it is only meaningful to participate in discussions where there is
an opportunity for meaningful interaction.  In the case of the BBC I see no
such opportunities as yet... Maybe there will be some, maybe I've missed
something but all I see is an open ended facility to contribute my
knowledge/experience with nothing received in return, and no agreed upon
framework for translating what I (or others) might contribute into something
of value -- and certainly no opportunity for effective intervention.  I
think your mistake is in using the term "debate" which to me implies
interaction, response, some sort of back and forth, and so on.  Please show
me where such opportunities for "debate" are provided through the BBC.

Also, I don't know your background but others on this list (as have I) have
been involved in one iteration or another in the ICT4D space for many
years--there was WSIS, the ICT4D Commission, the DOTForce, the ICT Task
Force, the GAID, and two or three others whose names I've forgotten--all of
which had rather similar structures although perhaps not as stellar an array
of participants. The opportunities for participation in the earlier
iterations varied from none to a bit to considerable (for some). What impact
this had on outcomes is something to be discussed.

The most recent iteration of this prior to the BBC was the GAID, which a
number of us were quite involved with and which I personally put quite a lot
of time and attention into since (at first) it seemed that something
meaningful might result.  But then it became a retirement project for
various notables and has drifted off into who knows where/what...

As I noted in my blogpost, the BBC didn't even seem to have a knowledge of
this history let alone learning something from it.  I personally see no
reason to believe that it will be anything more useful/effectful than any of
the vehicles that have gone before and considerable evidence that it will in
fact be even less useful/open to the kind of input and advice that I would
consider to be of signficance and long term value.

So good luck with it,

Mike