[governance] Re: What comes after DNS and IPv6

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun Sep 25 05:40:34 EDT 2011

In message <6BA5804E-1D76-4236-AFE4-3BEBBF6DF6AB at digsys.bg>, at 19:38:19
on Sat, 24 Sep 2011, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> writes
>Roland: in Bulgaria, we had since many years ago a rather "restrictive"
>DNS registration procedure. We have made two significant points: 1) we
>consider any label applied for, an "name" and 2) the registry is not in
>the business to decide who gets what name -- we leave this to the
>"outside" world, therefore permitting any form of name to become
>"Internet name" --- company name, personal names, city name, shop name,
>ship name etc.

But Bulgaria has a list of "reserved" and "inappropriate" labels. eg:
"REGISTRANTS shall not choose LABELS formed of obscene and/or abusive
words or combinations of words, as well as any LABEL contrary to public
interest and the good manners."

>This policy has been criticized many, many times, but my prediction has
>always been that other registries will move our way , at some point in
>time.

It has always been said that the UK has a purely "first come first
served" model, but there's still a history of successful complaints
about (mainly) trademark issues. See for example the case of
myspace.co.uk which was registered years before the social network of
that name was conceived, but still lost a dispute. (I'm not commenting
on the merits of the decision, but simply noting that it took place).

My observation of the worldwide phenomenon is that while rules for
second level domains (eg who can register under .net or .pro) tend to
relax with time, the rules about what "Labels" you can choose tend to
become more restrictive as various rightsholders and others place
additional reservations on what is allowable.

--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org