[governance] What comes after DNS and IPv6

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Sep 24 03:36:31 EDT 2011

In message <906C222A-C391-41CD-AFE5-CDFCF7609538 at digsys.bg>, at 22:22:55
on Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> writes
>Mechanisms equivalent or alternative to DNS, providing the same
>functionality to the upper level protocols have existed for many,
>many years.

Similar mechanisms have existed long before the current popularity of
the Internet.

I remember that I was subscriber 100060,425 (later it became
100060.425 at Compuserve.com, but originally my ID was issued before
Compuserve's email system had a gateway to the Internet). Subsequently
they introduced a private DNS so that I could identify myself as
roland_perry at compuserve.com

>One value DNS has is the chain of trust, that is formed from the
>root to the system administrator that decides and implements the
>last label. Other than that value, DNS names are just mnemonic
>labels. Anyone who believes they are anything more (including,
>that one can regulate mnemonic labels) deserves what they get.

There was a certain amount of regulation of Compuserve mnemonic labels,
including a "first come first served" model. But such regulation exists
in other spheres with mnemonic labels.

Here in England companies are registered by the Government, and company
numbers (such as 01230269) are required to appear on correspondence.
There's a government "DNS" for this, which reveals that company 01230269
also has the name Compuserve Ltd, which is easier to remember.

There is much (generally successful) regulation about the names you can
call your company, including, for example, measures to avoid collisions
and not including the word "Bank" unless you are suitably registered
with a separate banking regulator. (cf a similar issue in Sweden
regarding .se domain names).
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org