[governance] Re: What comes after DNS and IPv6

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Sat Sep 24 12:38:19 EDT 2011

On Sep 23, 2011, at 20:33 , Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:22:55PM +0300,
> Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> wrote
> a message of 41 lines which said:
>
>> Mechanisms equivalent or alternative to DNS, providing the same
>> functionality to the upper level protocols have existed for many,
>> many years.
>
> I note you do not mention even *one* of these wonderful mechanisms. It
> tells us a lot about their value.

Right. These just lack the chain of trust, required for such large scale deployment.

Roland: in Bulgaria, we had since many years ago a rather "restrictive" DNS registration procedure. We have made two significant points: 1) we consider any label applied for, an "name" and 2) the registry is not in the business to decide who gets what name -- we leave this to the "outside" world, therefore permitting any form of name to become "Internet name" --- company name, personal names, city name, shop name, ship name etc.

This policy has been criticized many, many times, but my prediction has always been that other registries will move our way , at some point in time.

It is interesting to note, that even after we liberalized the registration rules years ago, applicants continue to insist that they have some connection to the name and this be documented, although this is not strict requirement anymore.

This however does not change the fact, that DNS names are just mnemonic labels. We, the society have chosen to attach additional meaning to that labels.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org