[governance] critique of the IBSA proposal

Raul Echeberria raul at lacnic.net
Mon Sep 19 11:12:16 EDT 2011

Parminder:

I have been member of the IGF MAG since the beginning and It is not true that the Internet technical community has opposed to discuss about the concept of Enhanced Cooperation. I myself have participated in many discussion in the IGF in workshops and also in the plenary sessions about EC, and the NRO has never opposed neither we oppose to have such discussion in IGF.

Raúl

El 18/09/2011, a las 13:54, parminder escribió:

> Dear Milton,
>
> This will be a long (though very welcome) discussion and it catches me at a particular bad time, but let me jump in....
>
> On Saturday 17 September 2011 11:52 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
>>
>> Some first reactions to the IBSA proposal. You will not be hearing any applause from me. The proposal is unimaginative, backward-looking, and authoritarian. If it were actually implemented, which is highly unlikely, the proposal would be very destructive.
>>
>> One notable and surprising thing: IBSA has bypassed the IGF. By putting forward this proposal in the way it has, IBSA has openly declared that it does not put any credibility or legitimacy in the IGF as a forum for multistakeholder Internet policy development or discussion. This is true because the IBSA proposal was developed outside of IGF in an exclusive club of countries, and will not be put forward formally at the IGF. Rather, it will be developed at the closed IBSA summit, and then taken directly to the UN General Assembly.
> Marilia and Carlos have said thing in this regard. But let me put forward some facts to you. Discussion on 'enhanced cooperation' was blocked by the MAG, its most powerful constituencies of business sector, technical sector, Northern govs et al, and not by developing countries. In the run up to the Rio IGF, during the May open consultations, it was declared by the chair of the MAG that EC disucssion neither belonged in the MAG nor in the IGF, and the two tracks are to kept seperate. (This was backed by the above mentioned groups, though it is entirely a different matter that after two years when EC actually got discussed in the IGF they changed their strategy and suddenly discovered that instead of being seperate tracks they were in fact the 'same thing'.) When ITfC proposed a workshop on EC for Hyderabad IGF, it was officially refused and we were told that EC shouldnt be discussed in the IGF. We approached Brazil and they ensured that instead of a workshop EC was discussed in a plenary session. I remember clearly the coldness towards an EC discussion at the IGF of so many civil society actors that are now wondering about why EC was not discussed at the IGF. Surprise. Surprise. Earlier Brazil made some 'bold' statements in the Rio IGF opening ceremony about looking for new directions in global IGF, for which it was almost universally made to look like an 'untouchable'. So, it is very very interesting that now Brazil and other countries are being told that they ignore the IGF, especially in terms of discussing global public policy mechanisms. Isnt it diffuct to discuss thing with people who refuse to discuss things. And that now some of them can turn back and say; why did you not discuss these things, is a testimony to the hegemonic control that is exercised on the whole arena, and rules, of discourse.

> [...]

Raul
Twitter @raulecheberria