[governance] IGC on Facebook?

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Wed Sep 7 07:54:46 EDT 2011

Without the picture, I will respond to the points Imran raised.

2011/9/7 Imran Ahmed Shah <ias_pk at yahoo.com>

> While I was reading the thread, discussion and the option you have selected, I feel it necessary to highlight the other angle (dark side).
>

> When we create a group on facebook, we go through the following option regarding features and types of groups whereas the Closed Group option is one of them. Closed Group: anyone can see the group discussion but only members can see the wall, discussion board and photos.

I think as a Closed Group, only the members can see the posts. Others
can see who are in it, but nothing more. Which might be a problem.

> As you have decided to start with the “Closed Group” of facebook, my concern are as follows.

I have not "decided" to start with "Closed Group" on Facebook
formally. I created it as an
experimental page, yes, but not a substantive one.

> 1.      Well, once the group is created, the discussion of the IGC-CS Members may be viewable for the public but in order to give some comments or to participate in the discussion, IGC-CS Members has to sign up the Facebook and join this closed group (with the admin’s approval i.e. the coordinators’ approval).

You can examine how this closed group works by trying to see it
already there, as experimental
purpose only. If you have not joined, you will not be able to see the
content of the group.
And I have not made this group approved only by the admin. Any member can invite
and add any other friends.

> 2.      Now my point is this that every IGC-CS Member has to sign up the Facebook, and for this purpose we must need a full consensus to modify the charter that the IGC-CS Members may also have to become the member of the facebook group to participate in the discussion. And for this consensus, it will be necessary to provide the awareness of the side effect of the facebook type social network websites by mentioning their terms and conditions that may have conflict in privacy and data integrity. Most probably some or many of the IGC Member do not like to signup facebook network or at least through their native or primary email address to protect their data, contact  and/or other information.

ONLY if we agree to make the Facebook page as a kind of formal place
for dialogue among
IGC members, then yes, every CG IGC member has to sign up for Facebook. And that
will require consensus of our members. I think whether we need to
modify the Charter or not
depends on how we propose and define the use of this group. My
intention has been not to
make this FB page as formal body of CS IGC, but rather a tool for outreach.

And, if our members do not like this idea, and instead like to start
our own social network
or any other tool, I am completely open for it. But it again depends
on what exactly we
want to achieve.

> 3.      Otherwise, if the coordinators and/or any of the IGC-CS Member like to enhance the projection of the IGC activities, they may be allowed to publish final versions of related materials, reports and/or activities (but not the raw discussion), on any other public blog/forum/social networking site.

Yes, this is closer to what I am thinking.

> 4.      According to review, current voting and comments in favor of facebook are agreed on putting the IGC Activities or progress information sharing for the millions of the facebook user. And that relates to above mentioned item No.3 only.

OK.

My suggestion remains that within agreed framework, I like to start
using FB group as experimental.
There is no way to make it "secret". Either "open" or "closed" could
be an option.
However, I like to continue the discussion here online, as well as
there at Nairobi, before making
any consensus call.

> I hope that your you will review my points thoroughly before opening or publishing facebook close group.

Sorry, in a way, I have opened a closed group already, but it is just
experimenting the functions
as I am not familiar with the use of FB. If you all really feel not
comfortable even with this
"experimentation", please comment so so that I may shut it down until
we reach consensus.

I think "seeing is believing" and at this stage there is little risk
for the experimentation.
But I may be wrong ;-)

izumi
     governance at lists.cpsr.org