[governance] IGC on Facebook?

Imran Ahmed Shah ias_pk at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 7 06:18:01 EDT 2011

Dear Izumi Aizu, How are you?

While I was reading the thread, discussion and the option you have selected,
I feel it necessary to highlight the other angle (dark side).

When we create a group on facebook, we go through the following option
regarding features and types of groups whereas the Closed Group option is
one of them. Closed Group: anyone can see the group discussion but only
members can see the wall, discussion board and photos.

As you have decided to start with the "Closed Group" of facebook, my concern
are as follows.

1.      Well, once the group is created, the discussion of the IGC-CS
Members may be viewable for the public but in order to give some comments or
to participate in the discussion, IGC-CS Members has to sign up the Facebook
and join this closed group (with the admin's approval i.e. the coordinators'
approval).

2.      Now my point is this that every IGC-CS Member has to sign up the
Facebook, and for this purpose we must need a full consensus to modify the
charter that the IGC-CS Members may also have to become the member of the
facebook group to participate in the discussion. And for this consensus, it
will be necessary to provide the awareness of the side effect of the
facebook type social network websites by mentioning their terms and
conditions that may have conflict in privacy and data integrity. Most
probably some or many of the IGC Member do not like to signup facebook
network or at least through their native or primary email address to protect
their data, contact  and/or other information.

3.      Otherwise, if the coordinators and/or any of the IGC-CS Member like
to enhance the projection of the IGC activities, they may be allowed to
publish final versions of related materials, reports and/or activities (but
not the raw discussion), on any other public blog/forum/social networking
site.

4.      According to review, current voting and comments in favor of
facebook are agreed on putting the IGC Activities or progress information
sharing for the millions of the facebook user. And that relates to above
mentioned item No.3 only.

I hope that your you will review my points thoroughly before opening or
publishing facebook close group.

Thanking you and Best Regards

Imran Ahmad Shah

Executive Member