[governance] Re: IGC on Facebook?

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Tue Sep 6 10:19:45 EDT 2011

Well, between Carlos, Michael Froomkin and myself ... that is three of
the 5 or 6 Internet users not on Facebook.  And all of us here, in
IGC ...

I echo Michael Froomkin's concern with architecture (I think).
Facebook, like AoL of yore, veers toward a closed silo, trying to fill
so many needs of the user that there is hardly a need to venture
beyond its walled garden.  The advent on a Facebook email function
settled the matter.  How many years did we work, to make proprietary
email systems interoperate?  And now another one pops up, spawned by
Facebook.  'Nuff said.

Human beings have been social for what? - a hundred thousand years?
Yes, we can use digital tools to make that even better.  But not at
the expense of selling ourselves and our relationships as advertising
chattel.  Most certainly, not at the expense of being captured in yet
another walled garden.

To that end:  As has already been noted, any use of Facebook  by IGC
for information not distributed to _all_ will exclude those who are
not on Facebook.  And it seems virtually impossible to use Facebook
without some exchanges that unavoidably contain important information,
but that are trapped behind its wall.  QED.

David

     governance at lists.cpsr.org