[governance] Formal IGC response to IBSA proposal ahead of 18-19 Summit?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 00:34:25 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Carlos A. Afonso <ca at cafonso.ca> wrote:

> McTim,
>
> On 10/11/2011 03:43 AM, McTim wrote:
> > I'll bite.
> >
> > I too am not in favor of a poll at this time  (or at all, since our
> > decisions are supposed to be based on a consensus model).
> >
> [...]
> > The IGF is not supposed to produce outcomes, but is supposed to
> > increase understanding.
>
> It does already produce *some* outcomes, through the various results
> from workshops and similar parallel meetings. And the IGF might change,
> why not? Doesn't the "technical community" like changes in paradigms?

While I don't speak for the technical community I do know that changes
in paradigms happen frequently in the tech community, witness the
growth of IPv4 "markets" as just one recent example.

> [...]
> >
> > Clearly, a takeover of ICANN/IETF/W3C/RIRs, etc by a multilateral
> > body (as proposed by IBSA) will not fill any gaps.  It's just a
> > power play.
> >

> Now, this is really news to me, and I think I know English enough to
> grasp what the by now famous IBSA doc said or did not say.

This is the link that I have based my reaction to the proposal upon:
http://www.culturalivre.org.br/artigos/IBSA_recommendations_Internet_Governance.pdf

> There is not
> even mention of any of these entities, which are of entirely different
> natures in scope, mandate, incidence, decision-making, relation to gov
> bodies etc etc.

I think you may have missed this bit then:

"iii. integrate and oversee the bodies responsible for technical and
operational functioning of the Internet, including global standards
setting;"

> This was sparked by MM's furor expressed in an article
> in the IGP when first read the doc, and some people keep parroting this.

I rarely parrot MM ;-)

--
Cheers,

McTim