[governance] Formal IGC response to IBSA proposal ahead of 18-19 Summit?

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Wed Oct 12 09:45:59 EDT 2011

Grande McTim,

On 10/12/2011 01:34 AM, McTim wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Carlos A. Afonso <ca at cafonso.ca> wrote:
>>
>> McTim,
>>
>> On 10/11/2011 03:43 AM, McTim wrote:
>>> I'll bite.
>>>
>>> I too am not in favor of a poll at this time  (or at all, since our
>>> decisions are supposed to be based on a consensus model).
>>>
>> [...]
>>> The IGF is not supposed to produce outcomes, but is supposed to
>>> increase understanding.
>>
>> It does already produce *some* outcomes, through the various results
>> from workshops and similar parallel meetings. And the IGF might change,
>> why not? Doesn't the "technical community" like changes in paradigms?
>

> While I don't speak for the technical community I do know that changes
> in paradigms happen frequently in the tech community, witness the
> growth of IPv4 "markets" as just one recent example.

Yes! This is the point! Why are some people of that community so afraid
to touch the "play lame" paradigm of the IGF, usually in tune with the
business community?

>> [...]
>>>
>>> Clearly, a takeover of ICANN/IETF/W3C/RIRs, etc by a multilateral
>>> body (as proposed by IBSA) will not fill any gaps.  It's just a
>>> power play.
>>>

>> Now, this is really news to me, and I think I know English enough to
>> grasp what the by now famous IBSA doc said or did not say.
>
> This is the link that I have based my reaction to the proposal upon:
> http://www.culturalivre.org.br/artigos/IBSA_recommendations_Internet_Governance.pdf
>

>> There is not
>> even mention of any of these entities, which are of entirely different
>> natures in scope, mandate, incidence, decision-making, relation to gov
>> bodies etc etc.
>
> I think you may have missed this bit then:
>
> "iii. integrate and oversee the bodies responsible for technical and
> operational functioning of the Internet, including global standards
> setting;"

No mention of the specific entities and forms in which anything would
effectively be done. Also, this "integration" or "oversight", in many
forms, has been part of the life of standards in any sector, much before
the Internet came to be, from screws to plugs to... And, of course,
being of entirely different natures and under distinct institutional
arrangements, this can mean anything. This is also why I insist we take
up the generalistic IBSA draft and try and propose changes, additions,
modifications etc as the three government reps are expecting from us.

>> This was sparked by MM's furor expressed in an article
>> in the IGP when first read the doc, and some people keep parroting this.
>
> I rarely parrot MM ;-)

:)

Cheers!

--c.a.