[governance] Formal IGC response to IBSA proposal ahead of 18-19 Summit?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 02:43:39 EDT 2011

I'll bite.

I too am not in favor of a poll at this time  (or at all, since our
decisions are supposed to be based on a consensus model).

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 9:17 AM, <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> > Hi,

<snip>

> The paradox is - those who want to say EC happens in the IGF are also
> (with a few exceptions, like you/ Milton) among those who dont want to
> change/improve the IGFs processes of substantive 'global' policy related
> outcomes. I dont see such a position at all tenable. You cant have the
> cake and eat it too.

If you are eating cake, you, by dfinition "have it" as well.

The fact of the matter is that EC happens in the IGF (all along the process,
not just at annual meetings).  I saw it with my own eyes here in Nairobi.

> So, can i request those who want to forward this position of 'EC is
> happening in the IGF well enough, and there is no need for any other
> institution' to pl spell out their position on how IGF will deliver
> 'global' policy outcomes, of whatever variety (soft etc). This is
> especially relevant for the forthcoming meeting of the CSTD WG on IGF
> improvements.

The IGF is not supposed to produce outcomes, but is supposed to increase
understanding.

I think it incumbent upon those who want a new body or bodies to spell out
EXACTLY in which areas there are gaps that need filling, how such a new body
would fill those gaps (and only those gaps).

Clearly, a takeover of ICANN/IETF/W3C/RIRs, etc by a multilateral body (as
proposed by IBSA) will not fill any gaps.  It's just a power play.

--
Cheers,

McTim