[governance] Formal IGC response to IBSA proposal ahead of 18-19 Summit?

parminder at itforchange.net parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Oct 11 02:17:41 EDT 2011

> Hi,
>
> I agree with Tracy, Marila and Parminder that a poll is premature, seeing
> as we would be placing hard votes on what the proponents are stating is a
> soft and possibly malleable thing, that is, the IBSA proposal; without
> much time for reflection and online discussion here.
>
> But on other hand, I would not belittle our own EC handiwork from 2010,
> which remains imho a substantive contribution to the dialogue. So just
> bringing our '10 formulation of EC alternatives to IBSA's attention is a
> contribution to the current state of play.
>
> Which includes recognition of the IGF as among other things, a place in
> which EC happens.  (So..proponents of EC in UN system should be happy
> since it's already there; and proponents for IG status quo should be happy
> since IGF...well let's just say, it has certain limitations. ; )

some quick comments.

the process of Enhanced cooperation (EC)is specifically to address global
internet related public policy issues. UN now recognizes EC and the IGF as
two 'distinct but complementary' processes. IGF being the forum for wide
policy dialogue and policy influence ensuring the broadest possible
participation. This is also how I see the whole thing. But, in any case,
even some people want to posit the IGF in a more substantive policy role,
they MUST then first tell us how IGF will actually fulfill that role.

The paradox is - those who want to say EC happens in the IGF are also
(with a few exceptions, like you/ Milton) among those who dont want to
change/improve the IGFs processes of substantive 'global' policy related
outcomes. I dont see such a position at all tenable. You cant have the
cake and eat it too.

So, can i request those who want to forward this position of 'EC is
happening in the IGF well enough, and there is no need for any other
institution' to pl spell out their position on how IGF will deliver
'global' policy outcomes, of whatever variety (soft etc). This is
especially relevant for the forthcoming meeting of the CSTD WG on IGF
improvements.

parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org