[governance] Re: Syria

nhklein nhklein at gmx.net
Sun Oct 9 06:20:25 EDT 2011

On 10/09/2011 04:48 PM, William Drake wrote:
> On Oct 9, 2011, at 3:40 AM, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro wrote:
>
>> Also see the abstentions when reading the failed resolution and it is
>> the message that it sends which is far more pronounced and profound.
>
> including Brazil, India, and South Africa, which also opposed UN
> sanctions on Iran's "peaceful nuclear program" when the government
> there was busy hunting down and executing protesters.  But want a new
> UN body to develop global Internet policies and "integrate and oversee
> the bodies responsible for technical and operational functioning of
> the Internet, including global standards setting."  Then we can have
> intergovernmental horse trading over all aspects of global IG with
> Russia, China, et al linking voting deals on issues like their
> proposed code of conduct for acceptable Internet speech, TLDs, address
> assignments, standards, etc. to deals on sanctions and other
> geopolitical items.  That should help ensure a stable and open Internet…
>
> Bill

And some more interesting reading on surveillance by a government - this
time from Germany - and how it even goes against the high Constitutional
Court of the same country:

http://ccc.de/en/updates/2011/staatstrojaner

Norbert Klein

--
A while ago, I started a new blog:

...thinking it over... after 21 years in Cambodia
http://www.thinking21.org/

continuing to share reports and comments from Cambodia.

Norbert Klein
nhklein at gmx.net
Phnom Penh / Cambodia