[governance] Is really Bulgarian Cyrillic .бг (.bg) similar to other Latin ccTLDs?

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Wed Nov 9 03:39:44 EST 2011

On 07.11.11 22:08, Imran Ahmed Shah wrote:

> [IAS:] Till now, we have no representative from the Applicant (.бг) is
> appeared in the discussion, however I hope, Mr Daniel can bring them on IGC
> mailing list and can engage them to take next step with sharing thoughts and
> planning.

They claimed to be active many years participant in IGF on the Sofia
meeting, but .. we will see.
>> e.	other similar examples and decisions made by the authority,
> [IAS:] as mentioned by Daniel that Greek example is same, they were allowed
> be Bulgaria is not.

The Greek application was, similar to the Bulgarian staled at the IDN
Fast Track for the same reasons.

The Greek application is for .ελ (epsilon lambda). The so called "expert
panel" has decided that this is utterly confusable with .ea.

In Cyrillic, that would be .ел and yes, the Cyrillic and Greek variants
are confusable. This is simply because lots of Cyrillic letters are
based by design on the Greek alphabet (that is history, reasonably well
described in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrillic)

When I originally discussed the opinion of the expert panel that .бг was
confusable with my Greek colleague, his reaction was "what??? "beta
gamma" confusable with ASCII letters??? These people need to find
another job."

Daniel

     governance at lists.cpsr.org