[governance] Reconciling Democracy & Multistakeholderism: Having a Voice vs. Having a Vote

Baudouin Schombe baudouin.schombe at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 05:27:45 EDT 2011

Hello Paul,

I believe with you on this principle of a "voice" but a credible voice. This
procedure is feasible and possible in a democracy where the leaders respect
the rights of citizens. In the African context, more partioculièrement in
my country, this practice is totally politicized. Most non-state actors
without power of decision fits easily into acquaintances without political
parties most often reflects the will of the people or the communities they are
supposed to represent. There is still some way to go before the principle
of "multisakeholderism" is effectively understood and applied satisfactorily to
the benefit of all concerned.

Baudouin

2011/10/31 Paul Lehto <lehto.paul at gmail.com>

> It seems that in the longstanding debates about the merits and demerits of
> multi-stakeholderism, there is a perspective that may possibly help
> reconcile the views of some major positions on this issue, or perhaps even
> reconcile all of them:  The question perhaps ought to be framed in terms of
> having a voice versus having a vote.
>
> Under human rights and democracy laws, only human beings (or their elected
> representatives) have votes.  But businesses, NGOs, and others often have
> relevant if not important expertise, and thus have relevant if not
> important "voices" that are either useful or even necessary to intelligent
> process, and thus to good outcomes.
>
> Garbage in, garbage out.  For good process, we need good "voices" or good
> information.  One big source of this good information are all the folks we
> think of as invitees or participants in a "multi-stakeholder" process.
>
> The issues arise when the voices are also the only votes or the main
> votes.  This confuses good, democratic process of furthering the important
> cause of an INFORMED decision-making electorate or process, with the issue
> of WHO HAS A VOTE.   Under democracy and fundamental humans rights laws,
> only human beings have votes, and it is one a one person/one vote basis.
>
> For the moment, let's put aside the issue of building robust electoral
> systems on a global scale allowing all the humans to vote who are
> interested in doing so and effected by what's proposed (i.e. "the
> governed.")   There may be challenges there to be sure, but if this is
> considered a worthy objection ultimately, then it is a worthy objection for
> a dictator to object to democracy because polling places, precincts,
> ballots and other infrastructure simply does not exist.  That's a bad joke,
> or an excuse for authoritarianism, not a valid objection to working towards
> and implementing democracy.
>
> The call of freedom and democracy movements worldwide has nearly always
> been essentially the same thing: let's make democracy REAL.  And then we
> will eternally have to keep it real, of course.
>
> We ought to have multi-stakeholderism in terms of Voice Process, but not
> in terms of Vote Process.  It's very important to hear all the different
> perspectives including business perspectives (Multi-stakeholderism), but
> that should not translate into non-elected OR non-human persons or entities
> voting and determining the laws and policies that structure and define the
> freedom of the internet (or the necessary protections against fraud and
> abuse).
>
> Paul Lehto, J.D.
>

> --
> Paul R Lehto, J.D.