[governance] Reconciling Democracy & Multistakeholderism: Having a Voice vs. Having a Vote

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Fri Nov 4 01:46:48 EDT 2011

On 2011-11-03, at 2:08 PM, McTim wrote:

> Historically, the way decision have been made in the "governance" of
> the Internetwork, is that we don't vote, we reach consensus after
> hearing all voices.
>
> This is reflected in the IETF credo "“We reject kings, presidents and
> voting…."

Good point, but it gets better if you don't leave out the other half of the equation. Because they aren't really "decisions" are they.  They are just "take it or leave it" specifications for standards and protocols.  And the consensus is "rough" and then followed by "and running code."  That's because, "Between the idea and the reality, between the motion and the act, falls the Shadow."  So the running of code tests the consensus against reality and feeds back so that the consensus can adapt to the experience of what could not be anticipated.  The governance of dynamic systems and the evolution of practice are situational, self-referential and recursive, and quite other than the linearity of kings, representation and delegated authorities.

I believe governments are now fully and fearfully alert to the emergence of a radical difference in the way things can be done.  I also believe that complex systems models (like IETF!) provide an improved way of addressing problems of complex interdependencies, the very problems that conventional governing institutions are proving themselves incapable of addressing.  What I don't see, other than personally stepping up and participating whenever you have something to offer, is how two very different ways of thinking about ways of doing get reconciled, so that the importance of rough consensus and running code is both understood as non-threatening and allowed to flourish.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org