AW: [governance] E-G8 second day reporting

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu May 26 07:47:41 EDT 2011

In message <CA03EF21.2134A%divina.meigs at orange.fr>, at 11:50:57 on Thu,
26 May 2011, Divina MEIGS <divina.meigs at orange.fr> writes
>It could be an interesting outcome to have a major endorsement by the G8
>states of a concerted strategy around the critical ressources of the
>internet

The post-Okinawa G8 Dotforce meeting I went to (in UK) was all about
Development Issues (access, primarily).

 >it would have to be truly multistakeholder or it would totally
 >unacceptable ...

What G8 has is "convening power", they can easily get a whole bunch of
multinational CEOs to the table. The same is true of the World Economic
Forum.

For whatever reason, the IGF is still has some way to go in this regard
- although it got off to a reasonable start in Athens, the last couple
of years I've seen a trend for the main sessions to rely on speakers who
were "there anyway" (for workshops perhaps), rather than because they
wanted to make a special trip to appear.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org