AW: [governance] E-G8 second day reporting

Divina MEIGS divina.meigs at orange.fr
Thu May 26 08:38:05 EDT 2011

That's what I mean indeed. It seems we never had a "convening power" with
business, and I don't think the  international chamber of commerce is enough
representation for that community, in spite of its loyal presence to IGF...

We have to think of other ways of engaging with big business, and it might
be via small businesses (arguably part of civil society in UN listings). We
should identify their representatives in WIPO and other arenas and make an
effort to drag them out, person per person...

We do have to ask ourselves what we want to do as CS caucus. I was hard put
the last two days claiming any legitimacy for our constituency, which is
normal but debilitating. Maybe we should turn ourselves into an association
or ngo of some kind to be able to attend such fora and to make declarations
on the same standing as isoc or quadrature du net... We have to be more
incisive and more aggressive even inside the CSTD and ECOSOC world because
of course we shouldn't allow just the G8 dictate the agenda, even if comes
from countries that purport to be democratic ...

Maybe we should declare ourselves as a federation of associations and groups
welcoming all sorts of members, so that we send the message across that
there is a critical mass of people seriously thinking about these issues,
with a certain memory of past events and advances (so as not to start from
scratch like yesterday where i had the feeling i had to explain "governance"
and "multistakeholderism" to these top CEOs). Critical mass is what gets
attention of governements and businesses alike, because it is attached to
amount of votes and of sales... We have to start appearing as the global
public opinion on these issues, even if we know we are still rather
sphericules of opinion, but one has to start. Our colleagues in the Arab
spring countries could teach us quite a few lessons, in that way.

Best
Divina
ps: don't get me wrong: i don't think we did badly this time around in
Paris, and the media coverage is rather favorable to us, but it clearly was
too much improvised ...

     governance at lists.cpsr.org